Meetings are on Wednesdays at ALIVE, 58 Salmon Parade, Bridgwater TA6 5JT and start from 7:30pm until 10pm.
Please Note: This programme may change at any time due to weather, cancellations, or other events beyond our control. Please refer to this page for the most up-to-date information. Please contact us if you have any suggestions or ideas on future programming. Also, if there is something specific you wish to cover, please let us know.
On evenings where you submit images for advisories or competitions, you can email your images to firstname.lastname@example.org
Images should be sent the same week as specified in the programme. Images sent the week before or the week after may not be accepted. Please provide clear details in your email of who you are and what event the images are for. Thank you 🙂
- September 5th - WELCOME TO YEAR 5
Programme for the year, intro to our new lighting equipment, competition themes announced.
- September 12th - PRACTICAL
Relationship between foreground & background using some of our lighting equipment.
- September 19th - SPEAKER: ALEX WOLFE-WARMAN
An insight to his photography, including street photography.
- September 26th - GROUP CHALLENGE
Practical photography using a set theme and/or objects.
Advisory Night submission deadline for Oct 17th*
- October 3rd - PRACTICAL
Hands on session: Understanding photography and your camera.
- October 10th - PHOTOGRAPHY AT HOME
A presentation by Tim Grimes, followed by a practical.
- October 17th - ADVISORY NIGHT
Invaluable feedback on your digital and print photos, and a chance to develop your skills for analysing your images. Practical using off camera flash.
- October 24th - TOM HURST PRESENTS: CAMERA MODES
Using scene and art modes, followed by a chance to put modes into practice.
- October 31st - COMPUTER EDITING BASICS
A practical demonstration of basic editing workflow, renaming, resizing images and using paper profiles for a live printing demo.
- November 7th - DARREN HILLMAN PRESENTS
Using Adobe Lightroom, wildlife photography and how Darren approaches it.
- November 14th - OUTING - BRIDGWATER DOCKS AT NIGHT
Photographing the docks, river and bridges.
- November 21st - GROUP EDITING CHALLENGES
Practical taking photos at the meeting, to be edited at home and shown at a meeting 3 weeks later.
Competition deadline for Dec 12th – Theme: “Autumn” *
- November 28th - EQUIPMENT SPOTLIGHT
Some ideas for your Christmas list, and a group practical looking at your cameras.
- December 5th - GROUP SESSION
Filing and storing of your images, and depth of field practical.
- December 12th - COMPETITION - “AUTUMN” - JUDGE: LAURA PEARCE
Laura judges our first competition of the year. Peter Duce shows us some of his photography relating to the Carol Wewerka Award theme.
- December 19th - SOCIAL NIGHT
Fun session with quizzes and prizes. Bring along light food and refreshments.
- January 9th - PRACTICAL
Table Top photography.
- January 16th - WHAT ARE PHOTOGRAPHS?
Lecture followed by a small group camera advice and help.
- January 23rd - TOM HURST PRESENTS: TRAVEL PHOTOGRAPHY
Tom shows us some of his photos and gives some advice for taking better travel photographs.
- January 30th - GROUP CHALLENGE
Groups given a subject to photograph during the evening.
- February 6th - EQUIPMENT SPOTLIGHT
Looking at some photographic equipment followed a practical session.
Competition deadline for Feb 27th – Theme: “Landscapes” *
- February 13th - GEORGE POPE LECTURES ON 'WHAT MAKES GOOD PHOTOGRAPHS'
We will analyse some non-club member images.
- February 20th - PORTRAITURE NIGHT
Our annual opportunity to try your hand as a portrait photographer with multiple set-ups and professional models.
Advisory Night submission deadline for March 13th *
- February 27th - COMPETITION - 'LANDSCAPES' - JUDGE: STEVE SPRAGGON
Later Steve will give feedback on your landscape images taken at our Burnham outing. Steve will also talk about his photography.
- March 6th - TOM HURST PRESENTS - CAMERA SENSORS
Followed by ISO theory and techniques for taking good low light photographs.
- March 13th - ADVISORY NIGHT
Groups discuss photos submitted. Invaluable feedback on your digital and print photos, and a chance to develop your skills for analysing your images.
- March 20th - ADVANCED EDITING
A practical demonstration of editing for competition compliant photos.
- March 27th - PRACTICAL
Try your hand using the multiple exposures technique.
Advisory Night submission deadline for April 17th *
- April 3rd - SPEAKER: DAVID BOAG
David gives us a presentation of his work as a professional wildlife photographer.
- April 10th - SHUTTER SPEED EFFECTS
A lecture followed by a related practical session. Some tips on settings for action photography.
- April 17th - ADVISORY NIGHT
Invaluable feedback on your digital and print photos, and a chance to develop your skills for analysing your images.
Competition deadline for May 8th – Theme: “Water” *
- April 24th - HOW TO MAKE AN AUDIO/VISUAL SLIDESHOW
Malcolm Oyston shows us how to make an interesting slideshow with sound.
- May 1st - OUTING - DURLEIGH RESERVOIR
Including a visit to the sailing club.
- May 8th - COMPETITION – ‘WATER’ - JUDGE: MARKO DUTKA
Marko will judge our third competition of the year. Followed by practical session using off-camera flash.
- May 15th - HISTORY OF CAMERAS & PHOTOGRAPHY
Lecture, followed by a related practical.
- May 22nd - PRACTICAL
Using just one light source to illuminate and photograph a subject.
- May 29th - ARTISTIC V. PRODUCT PHOTOGRAPHY
A practical session for you to try your hand at taking photographs in a ‘product promotion’ style versus an artistic style.
- June 5th - OUTING - WATCHET
An evening trip to Watchet to photograph the town and marina.
- June 12th - OUTING - KILVE
A trip to Kilve cricket club to photograph some staged action.
Competition deadline for July 3rd – Carol Wewerka Award – Theme: “Awkward” *
- June 19th - OUTING - THE CANAL
A trip to Maunsel Lock on the Bridgwater to Taunton Canal.
- June 26th - THE ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
The club’s annual general meeting, followed by a look at photography accessories.
- July 3rd - SOCIAL NIGHT - SCC AWARDS 2019 & THE CAROL WEWERKA AWARD
Theme: ‘Awkward’. Bring along some light refreshments for a social evening.